Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Rubber Meets the Road


I’ve been wondering…
What if I put my money where my mouth is?
          What if, instead of just sitting around in homegroups, Sunday services, and youth group meetings talking about the problems of the world, Christians of all ages banded together and started acting like we really believed the WORLD was our MISSION FIELD?
          I do believe Jesus came to heal the sick and love the loveless, those that society has cast aside as unlovable, untouchable, unworthy.
          And I know a lot of people who say they believe the same thing.
          But what I’m wondering is:  do my actions line up with my words?

  • Have I shown love to those hardest to love?
  • Have I touched the untouchable or have I allowed their condition touch me?
  • Have I shown honor and given worth to those deemed unworthy?

Or have I sat inside my nice, warm house, attended my nice, cozy church with others just like me and whined that somebody ought to do something about the injustice in the world?  I think, perhaps, I’ve spend a lot more time talking than I’ve spent doing.  I think I’ve let fear of failure, rejection or ridicule stop me before I’ve even begun!
                                                          Well, NO MORE!!!
Helen Keller said:
“I am only one; but still I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.  I will not refuse to do the something I can do”
          and
“I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.”
          finally,
“Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all—the apathy of human beings.

          I am convinced that the opposite of apathy has to be hope.  And with that, I would add that Helen Keller also said:
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.”
          and
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”

                    So…what are we going to do?
                                What can you do?
                                                What can I do?

To answer that, I have compiled a list of websites (see the tabs at the top of the page, to the right of the Home tab) that offer opportunities to get involved, to make an impact in the lives of people you may never meet, but who, by virtue of being on Earth, are part of your life.
And who, after looking as these resources, are now partly your responsibility.

                                “Why?  How’s that?” you say.

Luke 12:48 sums it up pretty nicely.  To whom much is given, much will be required.
          You see, we will not be held accountable for what we do not know.  But once we are education on a topic, we then have a requirement to do something about what we know.  We will be held accountable for what we know and for what we do with what we know.  We are responsible for doing something to make the situation better, or to live our lives in such a way as to draw other people’s attention to that situation.
          I have decided that I will no longer turn a blind eye to the suffering of others.  I will no longer pretend not to see the things that I do not want to confront. 
          The information that I am going to provide on these pages comes from various sources, and all links go to pages that address topics that I feel strongly about.  Maybe you’ll find one that sparks your interest.  Maybe it’ll spur you on to finding your own cause to work on. 
I don’t know where this will lead, but there is one thing I do know:
                                What you do with what you learn is between you and the Lord.

I love you all, lots and lots.  Have a great day!

And, as usual, thanks for your indulgence,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment