Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day Thirty-Two: Pain, Disappointment, and Heartbreak

READ:  2 Samuel 1:24-27

(24-25) Women of Israel, weep for Saul.
              He dressed you in the finest cottons and silks,
              spared no expense in making you elegant.
     The mighty warriors--fallen, fallen
              in the middle of the fight!
              Jonathan--struck down on your hills!
(26) O my dear brother Jonathan,
              I'm crushed by your death.
        Your friendship was a miracle-wonder,
              love far exceeding anything I've known--
              or ever hope to know
(27) The mighty warriors--fallen, fallen.
              And the arms of war broken to bits.

THINK:  Sometimes pain and suffering are the central emotions of our hearts.  We cannot avoid pain and suffering, but we can control how we respond to them.  David's reaction is to be honest and open about the pain rather than avoid it or pretend it wasn't there.
               What is your response to the heartbreak?  Do you think David's response is healthy?  Why or why not?  What thoughts and feelings go through you as David's honors the evil king in death?

My response to heartbreak is to question my worth.  I wonder if God just didn't love me enough to answer my prayer the way I wanted is answered.  Did I do enough?  Was I good enough?  Did I behave well enough?  Those are the thoughts that run through my head.  I've been advised by several people:  "Tell God what 's wrong.  He already knows anyway.  He's big enough to take it."  That's wonderful advice, but if it doesn't change the situation, sometimes it feels more like God's not really paying attention. 

PRAY:  Think of the pain and heartbreak you have experienced in your lifetime.  Maybe that pain is a current reality.  Though doing so may be difficult, spend time expressing your pain in a lament to God.  See him alternatively listening to you and reaching out to comfort you.  What does it feel like to be comforted?

Sadly, I do have some current pain.  In the sense of:  I do not really want to be in the middle of the situation I am in.  It is uncomfortable for me and I don't want to mess with this anymore.   But God has heard my prayers of lament and He has shown up and blessed me, just right when I needed it most. 

LIVE:  Live knowing that God is loving enough to listen to you and big enough to care for you in your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment