Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What was I thinking?

Oh wow. So, I figured, how hard could my little recipe undertaking be.

The girl in the movie had 524 recipes to work through in 365 days. That's not me, so I ought to be okay.

Well, it's a different story when you decide to set out to do the task, and start committing the plan to paper.

As it turns out, I have 338 (or so) recipes to make in 329 days.

I have 45 poultry recipes alone; that's nearly 1 a week for the rest of the year. I also have 44 veggie recipes.

Now, I have to admit, right up front, that I did make a New Years Resolution this year. It may seem a bit generic at the outset, but I assure you it has kept me challenged.

The resolution: to not be dictated to by unreasonable fear. My goal this year is to stare down whatever it is that comes my way that causes me to shrink back, or second-guess myself, and really examine it. If I am deciding not to do something, say - for instance, trying octopus for the first time - simply because it looks weird and a little creepy, well...that's just not a good enough reason to not do it.

Don't get me wrong! Stupid, I am not. I have no death wish. I will not be bungee jumping unless the life of one of my children is at stake. I have never had any desire to put myself in that kind of peril. But, when it comes to food, if its dead already, COME ON!

It is from that place I am operating, and from that place that I have decided that, even though this idea feels absolutely ridiculous in the cold, stark light of day, I will proceed.

After all, we eat 3 meals a day. So when I break the goal down THAT FAR, to cop out before I even get started is nothing more than letting fear dictate my action.

To quote former President George H.W. Bush, "Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent."

So, with that, I have come up with a plan but, I'm not posting it right now because its 1:30 am, and I have to be up in 5 hours to babysit a sweet, sweet little girl.

Good night, er... I mean, good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment