Thursday, August 4, 2011

Putting Feet to My Faith

As I was thinking about what I had posted earlier, I felt that it was lacking much meaning.  So, to add to the Psalm 41 post from earlier in the day, I wanted to submit for your thought and reflection a passage from James 2 that moves me:

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.


I have been reading plenty of stuff this summer that has me convicted that I do not do nearly enough of the kind of stuff that I ought to be.  I look at the way I spend my time and I think, I could be doing so much more.  I've known single moms of multiple children who seem to accomplish so much more with their days than I do and I think that I am not doing enough.  But then, I stop and I look at my kids and I know that I know them.  I know that they know that I love them and that I am blessed to have a wonderful husband who supports my staying at home while they are growing up so that we can be together and they can have a supervised childhood, rather than one that requires them to grow up too quickly.  And I am reminded that there are other things that I can worry about and there will be plenty of time in my life for the things I think I ought to accomplish before I die that I will be able to do AFTER my kids leave the house.  In the meantime, I will spend my time educating them on the things in the world that they need to know exist, such as the people who live on less than $1.00 a day (nearly a billion people), and spur them on to their own action once they are out on their own.  So that they will not be tempted to say "Oh, that's too bad," and then go on with their own lives.  


My prayer:  Please, Dear Lord, help me to be less self-centered every day and to raise my children in such a way so that they will realize when they are being self-centered and will turn to You for help in finding ways to not be.


Thanks for your indulgence twice today,
Rabbit's Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment